Saturday, June 6, 2009

the parts I had forgotten

Being home has been really good in some ways. While I am happy with the person that I have become recently, it has been nice to get back some of the parts of myself I had left behind.

When I moved away to school a lot of things changed. I was still me of course, but there was a lot of myself I had forgotten about and moved away from. I lost contact with a lot of old friends, quit a lot of my old hobbies, and changed certain aspects of who I am. This has been a good chance for me to bring back some of the elements of the old me and mix them with the newer version of myself. It is not going back to the way I was a year ago, or two years ago - it is just finding ways to reincorporate parts of myself I thought I had lost forever.

The old Lauren loved Josh Groban, went to the movies all the time, had a much easier time of flirting with boys, and cared more about causes and crusades. She followed politics closely, loved the summer heat, and let the little things matter more. She loved video games, read just for the sake of reading, and spent more time listening to music. She was much more involved in living and she actively worked for goals. She was less passive about going after things she wanted.

I am finding that the old me is still somewhere here in Arizona and that my old life did not just disappear, as much as I turned my back on it.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I feel the same on what you said....about "finding ways to reincorporate parts of myself I thought I had lost forever."

I have been doing better every summer to mix Lisa and Tsang Ling Shan together.

:P I Miss you Lauren!

Anonymous said...

i miss too!
Lauren, come to utah?
the new you is okay, or the old you.

or the new old you.