I have spent so much time over the the last 4 months looking for a job. SEARCHING for a job. I have legitimately been trying. I have filled out countless applications, edited and re-edited my resume, struggled to write cover letters, worn my stupid dress pants (SLACKS, GROSS) that I hate, and stomped all over Virginia, Arizona, and Utah. What gives?
Just today, I have applied to five jobs. I spent an hour and a half taking the Office Skills Tests in the employment center. I have been, literally, pushed around (mostly by the new freshman and their parents who are swarming campus). I just left yet another office where I was told, "Oh, I'm sorry... We just hired someone. I guess we should take down that job posting now."
The number of times I have heard the phrases (or variations of the phrases):
"If you had just been here a day or two ago...! I just hired three new people."
"We aren't currently hiring, but you can leave a resume if you would like."
"This is a very fast-paced environment... I don't know if you can handle it." (Um, hi? I just introduced myself. You've known me for less than 30 seconds. You know this how?)
I know this post is full of bitterness and whining. But I am tired of looking for a job. And yet, I really, really need a job. I have to pay for school somehow. Even if I dropped out of school, I would still be required to pay for food to eat, a place to sleep, for clothing to cover myself... in other words, I have to pay to live. But no one will hire me.
And all I can think is... Rory Gilmore didn't find a job right away. But where is my offer to be a journalist on Obama's campaign bus? Hmm?
No comments:
Post a Comment