Well, I feel like somehow I got off track and have somehow strayed away from the natural progression. Like my life was on a fairly predictable trajectory. That I knew what to expect. But recently it feels like the world is a bizarre series of collisions. Things happen that are just strange.
Some friends from middle school just got married. Two people I would never have imagined getting together.
I keep running into people from the past.
Or running into people from the present, but in places where I wouldn't expect them to be.
Unexpected connections and friendships (that make no real sense) crop up. I start talking to someone and realize the criss-crossing and overlapping relationships we all share.
It's like the world is just chaos. My choices certainly impact what is going to happen next... so I do feel that there is a certain amount of control involved here. But the combination of the billions of people on this planet each making their own choices, the animal and plant life that exists (along with with its impact on the world), and the colliding bodies and matter in the universe... I mean, it really shouldn't be such a surprise when such bizarre things happen.
Think of the walruses. How those things evolved and survived. How did they get here? How did nature not give those things the boot ages ago? They are enormous, fat, waddling creatures with overgrown teeth.
Think of mankind. Who we are, what we feel, what we do.
Think of our lives. How we become the people we are. How we manage to survive. How fragile a human being is. And yet how strong.
These are the things I am currently considering.
2 comments:
Actually walruses are quite evolved as far as animals go. They have particular attributes that enable them to survive while others die off or migrate from that cold landscape. Like people from Minnesota, they have evolved and though they are ugly and brute-ish, they can live a full life. Besides, who would be funny at Sea World (the walruses, not the Minnesotans)?
Travis thought this comment was so funny that he told me repeatedly to come on and check your blog.
I think this post is very interesting. Have you read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books? One of the books focuses almost soely on this theory. It makes me think of that
Post a Comment