Wednesday, August 4, 2010

be careful what you wish for

I need to get out of town for a few days. Do something new, have a change of scenery, shake off my identity for a little while. I get like this when life gets too formulaic.

It's true that the weeks have been flying by. But it's not because they are packed with anything novel or exciting. It's because I can say to myself on any given day, "Well, today is Monday (or Tuesday or Wednesday...) so I know exactly what I will be doing." This type of predictability can be comforting and make me feel secure and safe... but sometimes (like now) it just makes me feel trapped, bored, and restless. I know what is coming next so I just tune out. It's like white noise.

Nothing about my life is bad. I love my family, my friends, my home. I am lucky to have such a great job and to be in such an ideal situation. So really, I'm not complaining. I couldn't wish for anything better, exactly. But I just wish for things to be a little bit different.

1 comment:

Marge Bjork said...

in times when i could scream for the need of something different, i may have actually sat down and painted my face. war paint stripes. in rainbow colors. just maybe.

that's all.

love you.