I'm feeling self absorbed. So of course the best way to deal with this is to blog about it, right?
I'm tired of thinking about myself all the time. My days fill up with classes, work, and then some combination of homework/social something or other. By the end of the day I feel unaccomplished. And selfish. Because I spend so much time pursuing my education, my social life, my whatever else. Enough about me. I know plenty about me. It's boring and it's old news.
This is due (in part) to the fact that it's the beginning of the semester. I am meeting new people and catching up with friends I haven't seen in a long time. As a result of this, I find myself repeating the same stories over and over again. Yeah, summerwasgood, gladtobestartingschool, movedintoanewplace, mynameisLaurenI'mfromArizona, blah, blah, blah.*
I'm sick of listening to myself and I feel like everybody else must be sick of it too. But maybe not, since you only have to sit through my repertoire once?** Meanwhile, I feel like one of those dolls with a button hidden in her hand. Squeeze my hand and I'll repeat my little recorded lines to you. Maybe sing you a song.
Annnd then there's bedtime. I shut off the lights and then it starts.*** The never-ending narrative in my head. I'm so, so sick of hearing myself talk but my brain just keeps going and going and going. So I stare at the ceiling, watch it light up for brief moments as cars pass on the street outside. And I don't sleep.
A coworker recommended meditation. I think I'll try that. Hopefully that will quiet the voice that will. not. stop.****
* This is not to say that every conversation I've had lately is rote/meaningless. So if you feel like we've had a good talk recently, chances are I do actually feel the same.
** For those of you who happen to have been in multiple social situations with me lately I AM SO SORRY if you've had to listen to me go through this multiple times.
*** I forget what I was going to put here.
**** This sounds really self-loathing. It isn't as bad as it sounds.
I guess what all of the above really amounts to is this: I'm kinda tired of being me. Is that really bad? Is that a normal feeling to have from time to time?
And a note on the title:
My roommate is listening to something with a whole lotta bass. I have hardly slept in the past few days. (Meaning headache.) Ouch.
2 comments:
I feel ya. I have kind of felt that way upon my return to work. Thebabyisdoinggreat. Nopenotgettinganysleep. Goodtobeback. You'll get your groove back in no time.
Also, I recommend leaving an anonymous note in your roommate's underwear drawer threatening her family. And include her home address to let her know you're serious (but you're not really, don't forget).
yeah, I feel that way frequently. but if I were there I really would think it was great if you sang me a song
Post a Comment