Thursday, February 12, 2009

Today in the car Travis said something that got me thinking. If he had chosen to buy one instrument over another, his life could have turned out completely differently. Sometimes in your life, things come up. Choices you make can impact so much, even if they seem fairly innocent.

What choices have I made that have brought me to where I am?

The night after homecoming junior year I decided to go on a roadtrip with my brother to Utah. Because of that, I ended up coming to BYU instead of going to ASU. Because of that trip, Delanie and I quit being friends. I stopped associating with certain people. I moved to Utah. My life changed completely.

It seemed like a little thing.

The time that I agreed to befriend Dane. I started spending more time with Dane and Delanie. I stopped spending time with Mark, Emily, Kirsten, and (spent less time) with Molly. I met Alex through Dane. Things spiraled out from there. I ended up kissing two boys. I let some of my interests go. I spent my last two years of high school doing different things, I was influenced by different people, I went in a different direction.

I chose to come to BYU for summer term instead of fall. I met Becky and Lana. I moved in with them, met Paige. I lived off campus, I lived in my first real apartment. I met some of my best friends. Who knows where this path is headed next.


This is why picking a major frightens me. If little things can make such a difference, what will that decision result in? What about even bigger decisions? There is so much still ahead. I want to make sure I end up in the right place. I want to make sure I live my life the best I possibley can.


It makes me think of Robert Frost's poem. I know it's a commonly referenced one, but the imagery explains things so well.

"TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

I can go into elementary education. I could do well with that. I would be happy.
But is there something out there that would make me happier?
My two passions in life have up until now been government and writing.
To be completely honest, they both terrify me.
Being a teacher would have me living a good life. But is it my best life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love you dear.
i know this sucks and is hard, but i believe in you, and even though it's cliche and i feel stupid saying it, heavenly father has a plan for you, and everything will work out.